- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 (4 ounce) chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika (this stuff is so addictive, I love it!)
- 1 tbsp. ground turmeric
- 2 tsp. Himalayan pink sea salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, minced. (Remove the green stem. It will taste better)
- 3 cups rutabaga or butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 cups (organic preferred) low sodium vegetable broth
- 4 cups of kale, washed, stemmed and torn into pieces
- 1 lemon, juiced
- (optional) additional pink Himalayan sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Cook and stir onion in olive oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Add chicken breasts and continue cooking, stirring frequently for another 3 minutes.
- Add celery and carrots; continue stirring and cooking until vegetables have softened slightly, about 3 minutes. Add cumin, smoked paprika, turmeric, pink Himalayan sea salt, ground black pepper and garlic. Cook and stir until garlic is fragrant and slightly soft, 3 more minutes.
- Add rutabaga or butternut squash and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until sweet potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Add kale and cook until vegetables are soft and the kale is wilted and cooked through, about 10 more minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice; adjust sea salt and ground black pepper to taste.
MetaLife Units: (Per Serving)
2 Protein Units
1/4 Fat Unit
2 Carbohydrate Units
Dr. Shonna Babrow-Goodrich